Choose-Your-Own Historical Adventures


I've seen a few examples of Choose-Your-Own Adventure or Interactive stories shared online and wanted to create a template for my students to design their own.

The first example I saw was one posted by Eric Curts on how he used Google Slides to create a choose-your-own-adventure story. Here is his example:


I liked the idea of students collaborating on Google Slides to create these stories around historical figures and settings that we studied. I wanted to create a template to guide my students on organizing their story and understanding how hyperlinking worked within Google Slides.

Here is an example of the Google Docs outline and directions I provided for my students:

Here is the Google Slides story template:
(click the link above to view the directions in Google Slides)

All of the slides are already labelled and hyperlinked. Students only need to add images and text.

Here are some examples of stories my students created using the template! The first example was made by 7th graders and they stuck with the template I provided. The second example was made by 8th graders who wanted to create their own buttons. I showed them how to create the invisible layer to prevent slide advancement so they can design their story themselves. Here is a detailed tutorial by Eric Curts.





One of the most incredible examples of interactive stories is Kevin Roughton's Time Warp series. He created a bunch of interactive stories to teach historical topics to his students. Here is an example of one of his creations:



Have you tried interactive stories in your classroom or tried using my templates above? I am curious to see examples of CYO Adventures or interactive stories used in other classrooms. Comment below or connect with me on Twitter!

Comments