Flexible Seating in a Middle School History Classroom

The Inspiration


After reading The Space: A Guide for Educators by Rebecca Louise Hare and Robert Dillon, I was inspired to redesign my classroom learning space. My goal was to create a learner-centered space that supported student collaboration as well as learning style.

I quickly went to good ol' Twitter for some inspiration by searching #flexibleseating. Most of the examples at the time were elementary school and a few high school mixed in. However, it was enough to get my brain juices flowing with possibilities.

Here is what I tried during the 2017-18 school year and what I learned through the process.

The Beginning


This is what my classroom used to look like in August 2016. I was very unhappy with the layout and the "students in rows" situation, but with the space and the shape of the desks, it was what worked best for the meantime.

And then in August 2017, I was able to swap out my individual student desks for tables. This was a great starting point for me to rethink classroom design.

There were a few restrictions and constraints I had to work around. My classroom is somewhat small with a built-in projector screen that can't be moved and an unnecessarily large teacher's desk that can't be moved. I was able to clear out student desks and swap them out with larger desks on wheels that someone else on campus didn't want (score!). Then, the rest was up to me to figure out.

I knew I wanted taller desks that could be used for students to sit higher or stand at. Wheels were also a must so they could easily be moved and rearranged. I also wanted floor seating options because a lot of middle schoolers always liked sitting on the floor whenever possible. Lastly, I wanted to try out balance balls since I saw many classrooms using them and read that fidgety students were able to focus better with them. I created a DonorsChoose.org project at the beginning of the year to try and get these resources which was fully funded by October.

Here are the items that I purchased with that project and some notes about them:

  • 40" Mobile Adjustable Height Stand Up Desk  - LOVED this table and I think kids did, too. There were options to stand around it or sit on a stool and have a higher vantage point in the classroom. This table worked well in the outer perimeter of the classroom. However, the 40" width was a bit tight for 4 students to use it comfortably.
  • Trademark Gameroom Black Cushioned Folding Stool, 24" - great in concept, but not built for classroom use. I want a stool that could be put away quickly if needed so this looked like a good idea. I soon realize that these aren't built for everyday and student use so they fell apart quickly. 
  • AmazonBasics Balance Ball with Hand Pump - 65 cm (item not available on Amazon anymore) - These were a hit! Students loved sitting on balance balls and while the constant bouncing was sometimes annoying, if it helped students stay put (relatively) and they were able to focus on a task at hand, I could deal with the bouncing. One issue was that I needed to come up with storage options as they roll around everywhere. Also, a lot of conversations needed to be had with students that wanted to use these consistently. And yes, I've had them bounced around and thrown in the classroom. Not super ideal. 


Here were other items I wanted that were not available on Amazon or were cheaper elsewhere that I ended up purchasing myself:
  • IKEA cushion covers and cushions - Students used these cushions to sit on the floor or to make a regular chair more comfortable. 
  • IKEA LACK side table - These were on sale right before school started and were even cheaper than the already cheap price! These are great for floor seating.
    LACK Side table IKEA Easy to assemble. Lightweight and easy to move.
  • Saucer Chairs - These were available on Amazon, but much cheaper at Walmart and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Kids LOVED these.

Phase 1


Students adjusted to the flexible seating and space options easily and were excited to try out the different options. I started by keeping students in assigned seats and then would release small groups of students to choose their "work space". I rotated the small groups each day so different kids had an opportunity to pick first. 

This is when I realized the 40" stand up desks were a bit small and the balance balls were going to be a bit of a problem for middle schoolers... 😕

Phase 2


I created another DonorsChoose.org project by November to try and get more furniture and supplies to supplement my classroom. This time, I requested:


I eventually allowed students to pick their own seats for the most part. A few students had to be reminded about making good choices. Otherwise, students were enjoying the various seating options and many were much more focused and comfortable. 

With all of this new furniture, I realized I needed more space and wanted to switch things up a bit. I had students help me design a few classroom layouts and we tried a different one every couple of days until we found one that worked. 



What I learned


I have always been a believer that students are not meant to sit in (uncomfortable) chairs at desks in rows all facing the front and expected to be happy and do well. To this day, I still fidget when having to sit for long periods of time. I prefer stand up desks or sitting on the floor and I work best when I am comfortable. This is true for my students, too.

Yes, there were a few classroom management issues. However, my students knew my expectations for how to behave which is simply to be respectful to each other and the learning environment. They knew that this was a privilege and I put in a lot of work (and money) into transforming my classroom for them. Most students appreciated it and really did take care of my classroom and furniture. They also enjoyed the independence in choosing a space that works for them and being comfortable. Who wouldn't?

My students also were integral in sharing with me their ideas in classroom design and layout. That was important because they felt a sense of ownership over the learning space. 

Making the decision to redesign the classroom and learning space had such a positive effect on the classroom culture.


Current Status - In Progress (Indefinitely)


It is now summer and the next school year is about to begin. I changed my room design once again and will see how it works out. If it doesn't work, I am happy to know that my students are open-minded, willing to take risks, and are easy going when it comes to change. 

Over the summer I was able to purge and clean out some file cabinets and shelves. By removing these furniture pieces from my classroom, I was able to make more space in the classroom. 

A few new additions to my classroom:
  • IKEA STIG bar stools - these are a perfect height to my current stand up desks so I purchased 8 more
    STIG Bar stool with backrest IKEA The stool can be stacked, so you can keep several on hand and store them in the same space as one.
  • Target Room Essentials futon - I had this lying around at my house which did not get much use so I decided to move this to my classroom to create another comfortable space. It's a bit pricey, but definitely goes on sale. The IKEA BALKARP futon went on sale for $79 this summer!
My current layout includes some rows, some groups, and some open space. I am curious to see what this year's students gravitate towards and how these different options work for them.




Again, this is a process. I am probably going to change things around by next week, but will continue this journey exploring classroom design. 

Have you tried flexible seating? I'd love to see other examples of flexible seating in middle school classrooms. Comment below or connect with me on Twitter!

Comments